Monday, August 15, 2016

A Devil's Din "Skylight" Review



                Recently I’ve been listening to the prog/psychedelic Rock album “Skylight” from newcomers A Devil’s Din and it’s really put a lot of things into perspective for me, either I don’t get the psychedelic sound or I don’t get the prog sound.

                To start I’ll give credit where credit is due, this is advertised to sound like the more psychedelic sounding albums from Pink Floyd and The Beatles and I’ll admit it does have that sort of tune to it. On the flip side, almost every single song on this album sounds like exact same with very slight deviations from beginning to end. I’ve listened through it multiple times and I’ve been planning to sit here and talk about it for quite some time but I constantly feel like there’s just something I’m just not getting, but alas, I just don’t get it. If there’s one song that stands out to me, it would have to be “I Don’t Know”, this is the one song I could keep coming back to and really the only songs I particularly enjoyed on the album. While a lot of the songs do have that Pink Floyd sound this song takes on more of a David Bowie feel and even features one of the only guitar solos on the album that is actually quite good. The song that follows, “Nature of the Beast”, deserves mention as well as it has a small section that sounds a bit like Ozzy Osbourne.

                So, I’ve decided that it has to be me; I just don’t get the Psychadelic sound very much. The second half of the album is better than the first half by far, but outside of the two aforementioned songs the album doesn’t deviate from its normal sound all that much, which is find stick with what you know. The album is as advertised, it’s a progressive/psychedelic, Pink Floyd sounding album, but it’s far from an album that sounds like the Rock classic albums like “The Wall” and “Dark Side of the Moon”. This album will be marked based on my thoughts, which is the album is a bit boring, but also fairly on the fact that it’s pretty much what I was told it would be. Feel free to pick up the album and tell me where I’m wrong or what I’m missing because frankly if that’s the sound you like, you’ll probably really dig “Skylight” by A Devil’s Din.


50/100

No comments:

Post a Comment