Saturday, September 23, 2017

Ontario Death Fest 2017: Vesication



Last one for Friday night, Ontario Death Fest 2017's first night will be coming to an end with headliners: Vesication and needless to say, everyone will be dead tired by the end of night one. Before we all go home and rest though, one last band to sit through and this may be the hardest band of the night.

I'll make this clear nice and early, I am not a fan of "Slam"/Brutal Death Metal. To be honest, listening to these couple of Vesication albums through wasn't the best experience for me. That being said, theres a handful of tracks, specifically off the "Prepare Uranus" album that were pretty decent to listen to. Songs like "Born With Two Dicks" which is a super groovy Death Metal track was pretty damn solid. On top of that you have "Rectal Fissures" which is a Thrashy-Death Metal piece with some crazy fun riffs and its the kind of song that'll get any crowd doing "The Toxic Waltz".

For anyone wondering my issue with "Slam" is generally the overly guttural/generic vocals and the vulgar song/album titles, not to say I have anything against a some fucks and shits. The big surprise I had with Vesication were the songs that features the higher tone of harsh vocals, not quite screams but heading in that direction, those vocals saved a lot of these songs for me personally.

I've heard a lot of Brutal Death Metal albums all things considered, I've tried to get use to the vocals but never quite managed it. Most I dont listen through the whole way and with Vesication I made it through "Prepare Uranus" a few times before switching it off and writing this so take that as you will. Given the Brutal Death Metal bands that are popular and what they sound like, Vesication might be the best in the genre for fans of the style! I highly suggest you hang around Friday night of Ontario Death Fest and check out the headliner of the night, who knows maybe they'll even convert me.


No comments:

Post a Comment